Saturday, 26 November 2011

Simple, compound and complex sentences


As I discussed in my earlier blog sentence and its types, sentence is a group of words which makes complete sense. Sentence has a subject and a predicate. These are actually simple sentences. To make our writing effective, it is essential to understand how to combine simple sentences. Before that it is necessary to understand what are simple, compound and complex sentences? This is the subject of this post.

A)    Simple sentenceà
Simple sentences have only one subject and one predicate.
Examplesà (Subjects are underlined)
1)      Rajkumar was waiting for the right time.
2)      Market was decorated for the festival.
3)      My mother gave me some money to purchase sweets.
4)      In the evening a fox entered in our home.
5)      Thirsty crow sat on the branch of a tree.

B)     To understand compound and complex sentences we have to first learn clauses.
Clauses are group of words which make some sense, are part of a sentence and have its own subject and predicate.

C)    Compound sentenceà
If a sentence consists of two or more clauses of equal rank, it is called compound sentences.
For exampleà I went to market and Ramesh came to my house.
In this compound sentence two clauses are
1)      I went to market.
2)      Ramesh came to my house.
Both these sentences are independent, that is, not dependent on each other for their meaning.
Noteà such independent clauses are called principal or main clause.
Examples à
1)      Night fell and we went to bed.
2)      You do it now or you do it never.
3)      God made the man and we made the caste.
4)      India has surplus grain but many people are starving.
5)      He went abroad because he wanted to succeed.

D)    Complex sentenceà Complex sentences are also (like compound sentences) consists of two or more clauses, but only one of them is principal clause and others are subordinate clauses (as they depend on principal clause for their meaning.)
Examplesà (principal /main clauses are underlined).
1)      The went to my house when party ended.
2)        He is more intelligent than I am.
3)       No body knows who they are.
4)      Our guest arrived when night came.
5)      He could not find a place where he could sleep. 

4 comments:

  1. You have an interesting blog. we both share common interest. Passion towards learning English. My blog gives English language tips using simple acronyms. I am sure it will help you too. Recently I coined S MA CAPS (Pronounced See My Caps), an acronym/a Mnemonic to recall types of count nouns. It stands for Society, Measurement, Animals, Containers, Abstract, Person, Shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this blog is cool

    ReplyDelete