Clauses are important to understand and to analyze a compound or complex sentence. Moreover, one can write compact and effective sentences with the better understanding of clauses. This lesson focuses on types of clauses. In the end link for practice exercises is included.
Clauses is a group of words which is part of a sentence, make some sense and has its own subject and predicate
Clauses are not used as independent sentences they are always part of a sentence. Clauses are different from phrases in that phrases do not have their own subject and predicate.
B) Types of clausesà
Clauses are of three types
1) Noun clauses.
2) Adjective clauses.
3) Adverb clauses.
C) Noun clausesà
A clause which does the work of a noun is called noun clause.
Noun clause is identified by attaching “what” with the verb.
Examplesà (Noun clauses are underlined).
1) That he opposed my proposal was the biggest surprise for
(What was the biggest surprise for me?) me.
2) I wish that you will win the competition. (what does I wish ?).
3) Everybody knows that Sachin is the best. ( Everybody knows what ?).
4) I want to know what his name is. (I want to know what?).
5) Do you know that Ram was innocent? (Do you know?... what?)
D) Adjective clauseà
A clause which does the work of an adjective is called adjective clause.
Adjective clause can be identified by attaching “which” with the noun.
Exampleà (adjective clauses are underlined)
1) The house which has green paint is mine.( which house?)
2) The dog that barks seldom bites. (Which dog?).
3) People who die for country never die (which die?).
4) I know the place where robbers hide themselves. (Which place?).
5) I have a dog whose tail is very long.( which dog).
E) Adverb clause à
A clause which does the work of an adverb is called adverb clause.
Adverb clause is identified by attaching “why”, “How”, “when”, “where” with the verb.
Example à (adverb clauses are underlined).
1) He learnt swimming when summer came. (Learnt when?)
2) I reached where you told. (Reached where?).
3) They finished the work as I told them. (Finished how?).
4) Doctor arrived when patient had died. (Arrived when?).
5) Ramesh explained the project just as our science teacher did. (Explained how?).
Do following exercises to understand clauses better.